Ledger Nano X and Nano S#
Hardware wallets are considered among the more secure options to manage crypto assets and store private keys. Your crypto assets can remain safe, even if your computer or phone is compromised, as long as you keep your recovery phrase safe and review all transaction details before confirming transactions.
This guide explains how to configure your Ledger device to use it through the MetaMask wallet.
You only need to perform the steps in this section once.
Follow the MetaMask guide to install and configure the MetaMask wallet.
Make sure MetaMask can show
$SGB tokens, and their wrapped
Follow the Ledger instructions to:
- Install Ledger Live and open it.
- Initialize your Ledger device with a recovery phrase.
- Protect your Ledger device with a PIN code.
- Install the latest Ledger device firmware.
Installing the Ethereum App#
Flare is EVM-compatible, so it uses the Ethereum app on Ledger. After meeting the requirements above, install the Ethereum app on the device with the following steps:
- Open the Manager in Ledger Live.
- Connect and unlock your Ledger device.
- Enable the manager on your Ledger device by pressing both buttons.
- Find Ethereum (ETH) in the app catalog.
- Click the Install button of the app.
Your Ledger device displays Processing…. The app installation is complete.
After enabling access to Songbird and Flare in MetaMask, create one or more accounts.
- Select Flare or Songbird in the network dropdown.
- Connect your Ledger device using USB.
- Open the Ethereum app on your Ledger device.
- If Ledger Live is still running on your computer, you must quit the app.
- Locate MetaMask's Settings and then Advanced settings.
- Ensure that the Preferred Ledger Connection Type is set to WebHID in the drop-down menu (it should be the case by default).
- Click your account image and Connect Hardware Wallet. A pop up box opens listing paired Human Interface Devices (HID).
- Highlight your Ledger S or Ledger X and click Connect. A random set of addresses opens that are available for your use.
- To create one or more accounts (for example, for different tokens or different purposes), select any account number or multiple account numbers and click Unlock.
You have created one or more Ledger accounts to which you can send
$SGB balance will be displayed on the MetaMask overview.
Once the accounts contain
$WSGB their balances will be shown too if you followed the Wrapping Flare Tokens guide.
The Ledger Live desktop application, as of version 2.55, can show your
$SGB balances but NOT the wrapped
The tokens are still in the account, but Ledger Live does not show them.
Using Ledger with MetaMask#
Now that you have the one-time setup complete, here are a few things you can do to get started using your new accounts.
Receive tokens. To receive tokens, copy your account address and share it with the sender.
Send tokens. To send tokens, click Send and enter the recipient address. Then enter the desired amount and click Next. MetaMask will ask you to confirm the transaction from the Ledger device.
Confirm transactions. To confirm or reject a transaction, follow the on-screen instructions on your Ledger device.
Always review all transaction details on your Ledger device before confirming any transaction!
To learn how to use Ledger, including signing transactions, go to Ledger.com.